ERS has partnered with a number of districts on implementing weighted student funding (WSF), which is also known as fair student funding or student-based budgeting. This presentation serves as an introduction to this new way of school budgeting.
In our experience, districts choose to implement WSF to help improve:
- Equity: Students are funded equitably regardless of which school they attend.
- School Empowerment: Schools have both the autonomy and the responsibility to design their schools to best meet their student needs.
- Innovation: Principals have the freedom to organize their school in whatever way they believe will best serve their students.
- Accountability: Every school controls its own budget and school leaders are responsible for resource decisions and related outcomes.
- Transparency: A WSF formula makes it clear to all relevant stakeholders how much money schools receive and how the allocation process works.