District Partner 2004-2005
ERS partnered with Providence Public Schools (PPS) to analyze the district’s budget, to assess current spending and school-level equity, and to identify opportunities to use resources to improve instruction.
"We're using the research evaluations that say teacher hiring and teacher assignment are two of the most powerful things a school can do to create a school culture that is collegial and carries a sense of responsibility."
-Peter McWalters, Rhode Island Education Commissioner
Interview by Stephen Sawchuk,Education Week, March 13, 2009
- To conduct a strategic review of the district’s funding systems.
- To help the district redirect its resources to enhance teaching and learning.
- To support principals in organizing school level resources more strategically.
Findings and Outcomes
- ERS’ analysis supported the district’s revision of its budget process, setting the stage for improved planning and resource management at the individual school level. School system leadership drew upon ERS’ findings to educate building leaders on effective resource management.
- ERS provided the following products and services to district and school leaders:
- Detailed case studies highlighting school-level resource allocation practices.
- Software tools that principals use to analyze staffing, budgeting, and scheduling.
- Training retreats that helped building leaders better organize students and staff around learning goals.
- Revision of the school plan review process to keep schools focused on improvement.
- ERS identified district-level opportunities for reallocating resources to support improved teaching as well as highlighting and quantifying contractual barriers to more effective resource use.
« View All Partners