District Partner 2004–2005
ERS partnered with the New York City School District (NYCSD) to inform the district’s efforts to rethink the role of Human Resources (HR) in supporting a comprehensive professional development (PD) system.
"ERS is the best in the country at saying, If you invest your resources this way, it correlates with this end result."
-Elizabeth Arons, Senior Human Resources Policy Advisor, New York City Department of Education
- 80,000 teachers
Our work with NYCSD will focus on creating a resource map and analysis of the district’s HR spending and to conduct a strategic review of all HR activities.
Findings and Outcomes
ERS presented NYCSD with a complete picture of the costs, strengths, and weaknesses of the district’s current PD system that assessed the following factors:
- Alignment of the district’s HR spending with research-based principles of effective PD.
- Cost and efficacy of HR’s approaches to new teacher induction, mentoring, and performance management of teachers and principals.
- Variances in the cost of new teacher induction for teachers who enter the profession through different routes.
- Cost of awarding teacher salary increments for gaining course credits.
- ERS’ work enabled NYCSD to identify ways to make its PD more strategic and resulted in a blueprint of HR’ role that spans hiring, induction, support, and incentives for career growth.
« View All Partners